How Do You Find Your Passion?

This post is a follow-up to my last post on the Idea of Starting an Online Shop.  In that post, I mentioned about the idea of having an online shop selling tickets for movies, concerts and the like. And probably, incorporating a blog on various entertainment reviews would be a good way to enrich the shop.  The big question is, "Is this what I want to do?"

I would like to give my sincere appreciation to Krizza of Life's Tips and Tricks and Rovie of Anything About Bella who left comments and pointed out that to start an online shop or any type of business for that matter, it is important that it must be something related to one's passion. I fully agree with them because having a passion for something you do will make it more fun and enjoyable. And having the joy in doing something will make you more committed and persistent in making the business work no matter how difficult things may be.

Image by Royalty Free/Corbis.
To illustrate this point, about 5 years ago, I decided that I would like to work from home. At that time, I haven't discovered about blogging yet. There were two options that I thought I would like to do: start a daycare/preschool or work as a medical transcriptionist at home. Before I can do any of those, of course, I had to educate myself. I can't attend a community school since I also took care of my 3 children. Online schools offered the flexibility and accessibility that I needed that's why I opted to do research on online degree programs in education or a medical transcription course. To make the story short, I ended up enrolling myself in one of the Medical transcription online courses (it's cheaper and took lesser time to finish). But guess what, 6 months...1 year...2 years went by but I did not finish the course. I really wanted to but I guess I was not driven by enough passion to do so.

So, how do you find your passion?


How do you know what you really love doing?  I read this article entitled 7 Questions to Finding Your True Passion and the author gives 7 guide questions to finding one's passion and what one is meant to do. "Your passion has something to do with what makes you smile and what you find easy to do. It's something that drives your creativity and something you would like to do even if you don't get paid for it.  You like to talk about it with others and even if you fail to do it, you'd simply try again. Not doing it will be something you will regret for the rest of your life."  Read the article and I'm sure it will help you think more deeply about what you're passionate about.

For those who are still thinking of what course to take in college, it is likewise important to take a career you are passionate about. I found this site http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/ which has many relevant articles, links, and tools to help one find the right career to take.  I hope this will help you further find the information you need to find your niche and passion.

Post a Comment

5 Comments

krizza said…
Hi Chin! Thanks for acknowledging! That would be great for a start, to find your passion and where you're good at! Setting up a business is no joke, so we must fully understand first what we're going into and doing some researches would bea great help!
Would love to check that site! :)
Chin chin said…
You're welcome, Krizza. I agree that starting a business is something that should be studied before plunging into. Thanks for dropping by.
wall graphics said…
Hi! I wanna answer your question, how do you find your passion. For me finding your passions is more about seeing that those passions have always been there quietly sitting deep in the closet and those same passions are what can help enhance what you currently do. It doesn't always mean leaving what your doing but rather build on top of what you are doing to make it an amazing outcome not just an ordinary day.
teecup said…
Excellent share, chin! I must admit that the process of finding my true passion was less systematic for me... I relied on my feelings and on the affirmation of those I respected. Do I feel happy? Is it something I find easy? Do I have the motivation to move to greater heights? Am I happy about what others are saying about what I do? It took me until high school to realize that writing was my first love... and just recently that perhaps I have some magical way of converting ad copies to sales... Perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon stage, I don't know... but I'm really liking this little sideline. :) It excites me that you find yourself heading to the same direction. We can exchange notes and realizations.
Chin chin said…
@ Wall graphics - I like what you said that finding your passion doesn't mean you leave what you're doing now but building on top of it. Maybe eventually, it will takeover.

@ Teecup - I'm happy for you that you are discovering more of your passion. You do have a magical way of writing and I'm one of those people who are enjoying it. Hoping to your success in your passion. By the way, I like exchanging notes and realizations.