Literacy Month: Kids' Book Costumes and Literacy Awareness Campaign

This September, Angel together with the preschool department pupils of their school celebrated Literacy Month.

literacy month
Learn to Read, Read to Learn

Literacy basically means the ability to read and write. According to UNESCO,

“Literacy is a human right, a tool of personal empowerment and a means for social and human development. Literacy is at the heart of basic education for all and essential for eradicating poverty…”

Children in preschool need to learn to read so that when they know how to read, they could learn more through reading. Children need to develop the habit of reading also. It’s sad that with the development of technology today, many do not love to read books anymore. If they read digital books, or perhaps use reading apps, that’s putting technology to good use.

Read related: Top 5 Tips for Teaching Kids How to Read

Back to Angel’s school program, the children had a book costume parade. The kids walked around in their costumes featuring different books of their liking. There were many fairy tale books, including that of Angel’s which is Sleeping Beauty.

Angel's Sleeping Beauty Book Costume

There were also dictionary, bible story books, math books and more. I really like the Reading Book costume (see the lower right photo below); it’s very creative. I also like what is quoted there (the picture is small so perhaps you won’t be able to read it). It says, “Kids who read succeed.”

Literacy Month Kids' Parade in their Book Costumes

After the parade, the Nursery, KG1 and KG2 pupils also did their special presentation – three different versions of ABC. The first is the popular alphabet song we all know how to sing, the second is the “A – you’re adorable, B – you’re so beautiful …” version and the third is the recital of the acronym A to Z. The first time Angel had this type of activity (last Nutrition Month), she did not say a word when it was her turn to say her piece. I’m so relieved and so glad that this time, she said her piece. She said, “J is for good jobs and the praises we have earned.” I hope that she will have more opportunities like this to develop her self-confidence.

The program was simple. Afterward, we went to their room to see the exhibit of the projects/activities they did to promote literacy. The children, together with their parents, made house of vowels and house of consonants. Grade school students made some vocabulary charts, too.

House of Consonants

House of vowels
I almost forgot to include the project made by Angel and me. This is Angeline’s House of Vowels.

house of vowels
Angel's House of Vowels

I hope that all kids will learn to read and will read to learn.  And parents need to take an active part in this. Will you?

Post a Comment

13 Comments

Melgie said…
As a Mom of Kindergarten, I definitely take a big part of this. My daughter’s teacher always send her a book baggie to read for the week and 1 story book to practice at home. It’s been 3 weeks since we been doing it and I see some improvement with Reyna. Great post! Sis:)
Chin chin said…
It’s good that your daughter’s teacher is doing that. Angel’s teacher seldom does that so I take the initiative to do some readings with Angel.
Mommy Maye said…
This is a great awareness campaign. I’m not into reading and I’m guilty I am not taking my part to encourage my son to read. But eventually when he can already read, I will buy him books to impart on him the value of reading.
Chin chin said…
Even when children don’t know yet how to read, reading to them helps develop their fondness for reading. I’m guilty too. I used to read a lot with my kids when I was homeschooling them. Now, I read with them at least during family devotions.
Maria said…
A very interesting program by the school. WE do need to encourage children to read, beyong the textbooks.
Chin chin said…
I agree. I’m happy to see that my daughter is also borrowing books now from the library and taking them home for reading. I remember doing the same when I was in high school.
Ida said…
It’s nice to read that Angel finally uttered what she had to say in front of many people This is a good advocacy to encourage the students to love reading. The environment plays a vital role too because kids are great imitators so if they constantly see this activity in their houses, they too will value this activity.
Allan said…
Our son’s first activity is their School’s foundation day. They will be dancing in the said event. I hope he will behave and easily learn the dance steps.
Chin chin said…
Looking forward to reading your post about this event, Allan.
JanzCrystalz/January said…
I’ll do my best to take part in this activity and teach my children how to read and read with them.
Maria said…
A very interesting program by the school. WE do need to encourage children to read, beyong the textbooks.
Chin chin said…
I agree. I’m happy to see that my daughter is also borrowing books now from the library and taking them home for reading. I remember doing the same when I was in high school.
Chan - Pretty Gorgeous Kikay said…
Ang cute ng mga ginawa sa workshop!