4 Simple Art and Craft Projects for Kids (6)

Time for me to share again some of the art and craft projects of my kids. Well, sometimes I help in doing the projects as in the case of the animal masks below.

The first project was the project of my son in MAPE. Most of us grown-ups are familiar with this because at one time in our school days, we probably have done something similar to it. I actually don't know how to call this project. The steps in doing this project include
  • Color the whole page with different colored crayons. Make it as colorful as can be.
  • Then, color the whole page using black crayon, as dark as can be.
  • Then, one can use pencil or a pen (with no ink) to draw a design on top of the black crayon. This would result in scratching and removing portions of the black crayon and exposing the colorful background. 

In this project, my son used the alibata, old Filipino alphabet, to spell out his name.  The design actually spells Rafael.

Rafael in Alibata
The next project is made by Kristel - Creative Lettering. Her teacher asked their class to write on a piece of bond paper one Bible verse which tells about a value that Filipinos have or must have. To make her project look prettier, I asked her to

  • Draw guide lines first
  • Write the Bible verse. She used a simple lettering style we saw in one art book.
  • Using color pencil, color the background of the letters of the verse.

The verse says "Honor your father and mother so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." - Exodus 20:12  This verse is teaching all children to respect their parents.

Honor your father and mother - Exodus 20:12
This third project is actually what I did when my daughter's teacher asked them to bring animal masks. So what I did is use what's available in the house to make this mask instead of buying one. Here's what I did:
  • I drew the face of an animal - cat and giraffe on the blank side of an empty cereal box. I just copied the face of the animal from pictures I found using Google search.
  • Cut out the shape of the face.
  • Using black pentel pen, I permanently marked and highlighted the features of the face. 
  • Then, I asked my daughter to paint the rest of the face of the animal mask using poster color. This is a favorite art activity of my daughter.
  • When the paint has dried, I glued or taped a Popsicle stick at the back of the mask. For the other one, I made two holes on the side of the face and put 2 rubber bands.  

Animal Mask - Janel painting the face using poster color
Giraffe mask and Tiger mask
This fourth project is a Popsicle stick doll. I just saw my daughter making this herself one time when she had nothing to do.

  • She drew the head, arms and legs, hair and dress on a piece of paper. 
  • She cut out the shapes and pasted them on the Popsicle stick.
  • Lastly, she drew the face of the doll.


I know this doesn't look really awesome. Nevertheless, I'm still proud of my daughter. She used her imagination to make this on her own. I did not give her any instructions at all.

Cutting the dress for the Popsicle Stick Doll

Unfinished Popsicle Stick Doll

The Finished Popsicle Stick Doll
That's it for today. I hope you also enjoy doing this project with your kids
.

Post a Comment

23 Comments

Unknown said…
cool art! you've got creative kids chin...i love the animal masks haha
anne lei said…
a good start for children to use their creativity.
aby ♥ said…
i remember my art class before! hahaha i've tried this when i was a kiddo..
Daddy Yashiro said…
that would a nice bonding moment with the kids.
creative kids got their talent from their creative and supportive parents! cheers to you mom!
krizza said…
When it comes to children crafts, you're definitely a pro, Sis Chin!
Great projects for kids and the kids alike. Hahaha. :)

How are u na Sis?
Chin chin said…
Hi Krizza, am not really a pro. Pili nga ang mga art projects that I do that come out really nice. But you know, the kids enjoy the activity just the same.
Allan D said…
We used to do the first one during our elementary days. We called it etching.
-daddy allan (visit from BCB 10/02)
January Zelene said…
those are nice crafts for children..:)
Ron Leyba said…
My daughter will surely love the 3rd project which is mask making. Timely for Halloween.
Olga said…
Love the popsicle doll your daughter made! So very creative of her to have thought of that. The first art activity used to be one of my faves when I was in gradeschool.
Jhari said…
MAPE, this is the first time after long years of not hearing it. Proud mommy moments for this post. Sarap ng feeling :)

Visiting from CommEx 10/2.
Ms. Journ said…
she is so artistic for sure she has a very good future... an artist maybe? Love her crafts..
great crafts for kids... i used to love doing this!
Farida said…
These are really great to keep the kids busy especially on weekends or on vacations :)
verna said…
Thanks for sharing this. Im currently looking for crafts that I can do with my daughter.
Mylene said…
Nice crafts!

Thanks for sharing.
Marie said…
Nice one!!Crafts really develop a child's skills
Unknown said…
I love the bible verse. It's a good one for children to ponder on. :-)
Roselyn said…
That's one cool art. I bet kids will love it. :)
Lalah said…
Nice qt with kids... I love crafting with my little one too.
kat said…
Look like fun projects. I love that your daughter did the project on her own. You must be proud of her.
I am very grateful that I found some helpful content in this post. After reading it , I think that you have good knowledge. Thanks for posting it. Keep it up. creative kids craft kits