Dealing With Vomiting Children

Same rule applies at home.  Image by Roy Blumenthal, Flickr
About 2 weeks ago, all my children experienced vomiting and complained about stomach pain.  First, it was Angel, the following day, it was Yuan and Janel, then the next day, Kristel and Emmuel.  I really can't figure out why.

Was it because they have eaten something that caused their stomach to be upset? If that was the case, why didn't they fell sick all at the same time?  Maybe it was just a viral infection because after about 5-6 episodes of vomiting, they were fine.  They just needed to gain back their appetites. 



During the time that they were sick, I just made sure that they were rehydrated.  I let them drink (water and Gatorade) a little (5-10 ml) at 5 minutes interval.  That would allow them some time to absorb some of the nutrients in the drink before they vomit again if ever they do so again.  (That's what we learned as per doctor's advice from previous experience).  If they feel like eating, I give them a soft diet - porridge / lugaw or soup.

It was a good thing that they didn't have any diarrhea. I expected that they will have lose bowel movements (LBM) in the days that follow since they had eaten little - mostly fluids.  But thank God, no diarrhea.  Having to deal with both vomiting and diarrhea can cause serious dehydration.  Every parent should know something about diarrhea home remedies in case diarrhea (more than 3 LBM in a day) occurs.  I have shared some information on dealing with both vomiting and diarrhea in my previous post.

Post a Comment

0 Comments