Tips for Potty Training a Toddler



Yahoo! At last, my 4th child, Janel - 2 years and 9 months old, is now potty trained. YES! 

Janel has not been wearing any diaper during the daytime since 2 years old (she doesn't want to) and even at night time since 2 1/2 years old. That gives us savings on money paid to diapers. 

The problem is she can pass urine in the potty but she always poops in her underwear. We've been encouraging her to sit down on the potty when she feels that the poop is ready to come out. But she always messes up. 

About 3 weeks ago, she had a very loose bowel movement and made a lot of mess on the bed. She cried because of that. But that was a turning point for her. Since then, she has been pooping in the potty. 

We always praise her for her big accomplishment. Even she praises herself for a job well done. 

Some Tips on How to Potty Train Your Child


After having potty trained 4 children, here are some tips I can give : 

1. Start by giving your child his own potty chair. 

2. Let your child see you or his father using the toilet. It was easier for my younger children to be potty trained because they see their older brother or sister doing it. 

3. Let him sit on the potty chair fully clothed just to have a feel of it. 

4. Gradually, let him sit without a nappy. 

5. When he soils or wets his nappy, sit him gently on the chair after cleaning him while you get fresh things. 

6. Once he is interested, let him sit 2 or 3 times a day. 

7. When I have a hint that he is about to pee or poop, I ask him to sit on the potty. 

8. Lastly, don't pressure or scold the child. Children who are pressured into early training tend to be bedwetters and soiling than those children who develop at their own pace. 

Praise every success. Just keep doing these tips and you'll have success at potty training your child.

Here are a few more words about toilet training. 

I believe that investing in a potty chair is a good decision. Some books recommend putting the child's potty chair in a place where he can see it. You could put it in the bathroom, so your child can try using his potty when you use the toilet. 

Your child can also practice flushing his waste. Help him drop the contents of his diaper or the potty chair's removable bowl into the toilet and let him flush it away.

As a mom, I try to know when my child is going to pee or poop so that I can seize those moments to potty train him or her. As soon as I get a hint that bowel movement or urination is on the way, I tell my child to use the potty chair.

Usually, before going to sleep, I ask my child to sit on the potty chair, and most often than not, he or she pees. If he or she does, the next urination will be in the morning upon waking up. 

Be sure also to let the child wear something loose and easy to remove. That would help avoid the chance of accidents. 

I hope all these tips help you potty train your child.

Post a Comment

0 Comments